Monday, 16 June 2008

Donald Trump - Trump Argues Case For Worlds Greatest Golf Course


Property mogul DONALD TRUMP has urged Scottish officials to grant him permission to build a $2 billion (GBP1 billion) golf resort in Aberdeen, insisting failing to do so would be a "terrible blow" to the country.

The American tycoon is currently in the Scottish city to argue his case for the project to be given the greenlight after coming up against opposition from environmental protestors.

The campaigners claim Trump's luxury 18-hole golf course - which will include a 450-room five star hotel, 900 vacation homes, and 500 luxury homes costing up to $2 million (GBP1 million) each - on the north-east coast of Scotland will cause significant damage to the environment

But Trump denies this is the case.

A public inquiry into the ambitious project began on Tuesday (10Jun08) at Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre (AECC), where Trump told the ministers: "People won't play a course if it is environmentally harmful. They don't like it, they don't feel good about it, and they won't play it."

When confronted by claims the plans are not popular with locals, Trump responded: "I see polls showing 93 per cent in favour. You can say what you want, but this is a very popular project..."

Trump went on to claim the resort would be "the world's greatest golf course".

He added: "If you reject this, there will be a terrible blow to Scotland."

Trump needs to secure the approval of Scottish Government ministers and win over the public if he is to secure the planning permission for the golf resort.





See Also

Carrie Underwood keeping Ride going

Extends tour through mid-December





NEW YORK -- Carrie Underwood has extended her maiden headlining tour, dubbed Carnival Ride, through mid-December. The new leg begins Sept. 23 in Cleveland and wraps Dec. 14 in Gainesville, Fla., with support from Little Big Town.
Underwood is also celebrating her latest No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart with "Last Name," which jumps from No. 5 this week. The inspiration for the tour, "Carnival Ride" the album has sold 2.16 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.
The first leg of the tour concludes June 24 in New Orleans. Before the fall portion begins, Underwood will play a host of fairs and festivals in July and August, including Wisconson's Country Thunder and Country Jam events.
For a full list of newly announced shows and on-sale information, visit Underwood's Web site.

Tv Guide Makes A Comeback



TV Guide
, which last month reported its first profitable quarter in nearly four years,
announced Thursday that its TV Guide Online unit had experienced record growth
in May. It said that more than 12.1 million unique visitors logged on to
TVGuide.com in May, a 58-percent increase over May of last year. (The figure
actually pales in comparison with the magazine's circulation of more than 20
million in its heyday.) While the magazine underwent a total makeover in
October 2005, doing away with its video-log format, the online division said
that the number of visitors to its online video guide increased 205 percent
from May of last year to 540,000 unique users.






06/06/2008





See Also

Robert Downey Jr. saddles up for 'Cowboys'

In talks to star in the film that's a mix of sci-fi and Western





Robert Downey Jr. is in negotiations to star in DreamWorks/Universal's "Cowboys & Aliens," a pulpy mix of the sci-fi and Western genres that could serve as a potential 2010 tentpole.


The deal would be Downey's first since propelling Marvel Studios' "Iron Man" to $500 million-plus in worldwide loot (and growing). He next will be seen in the comedy "Tropic Thunder" in August, followed by the drama "The Soloist" in November, both for DreamWorks.


Imagine Entertainment partners Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are producing. Platinum Studios chairman and CEO Scott Mitchell Rosenberg also will produce, along with DreamWorks mainstays Steven Spielberg, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. Ervin Rustemagic and Rich Marincic will co-produce.


"Cowboys & Aliens" derives from a graphic novel written by Fred Van Lente and Andrew Foley from an original idea by Rosenberg. The story centers on an Old West battle between the Apache and Western settlers, including a former Union Army gunslinger named Zeke Jackson (Downey), that is interrupted by a spaceship crashing into the prairie near Silver City, Ariz.


The story draws a parallel between the American imperialist drive to conquer the "savage" Indians with its advanced technology and the aliens' assault on Earthlings, who must join together to survive the invaders' attack.


The project has been in development at several studios during the past 10 years. Among the writers who have drafted versions of the adaptation are David Hayter ("X2: X-Men United"), Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer ("Sahara"), Jeffrey Boam ("Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"), Thompson Evans ("Wedlocked"), Chris Hauty ("Never Back Down") and Steve Oedekerk ("Evan Almighty").


The most recent draft by "Iron Man" and "Children of Men" writers Hawk Ostby and Mark Fergus clearly hit the right notes, as the project looks to gain its major players quickly.


Downey, Fergus and Ostby are repped by CAA.



Gregg Goldstein in New York contributed to this report.



See Also

R. Kelly found not guilty

A Chicago jury has acquitted R Kelly. of all child pornography charges after less than a day of deliberations.

The jurors found the R&B star not guilty on all 14 counts of videotaping, producing or soliciting child pornography. If he had been convicted, he could have faced up to 15 years in prison.

The Grammy-winning singer, whose real name is Robert Kelly, has consistently denied the charges that he taped himself having sex with a female as young as 13.

The 12-person jury reached their verdict after just seven-and-a-half hours of deliberations, reports the Chicago Tribune.

During the trial, Kelly's defence team defence team argued he'd been wrongly accused and insisted he was not the man who appears in the video tape at the centre of the case because he did not have a mole on his back, as R Kelly. does. They said the tape had been doctored and implied that Kelly was the victim of an extortion plot.

Kelly never took the stand in the case, nor did Kelly's goddaughter, who witnesses testified was the young female in the tape.

The explicit video shows a couple engaged in oral sex and shows the male urinating on the female.

The not-guilty verdict puts an end to the case that has been languishing for nearly six years.

--By our Los Angeles staff.
Find out more about NME.

The Digital Freedom Campaign 'DJ for a Day' Celebrates Music and Technology

WASHINGTON, June 12 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In celebration of the
innovation made possible by the digital revolution, the Digital Freedom
Campaign today will host a "DJ for a Day" event, allowing artists,
innovators, and consumers to demonstrate how they use digital technology
and what digital freedom means to them.

Featuring Digital Freedom Campaign Artist of the Month The Kin, the
event at Lounge 201 on Capitol Hill will bring together policymakers and
digital innovators to demonstrate how digital technology and balanced fair
use rights have propelled an increasingly vibrant independent music scene.

"Tonight's event will be celebration of the experiences digital freedom
can bring to artists and consumers," said Maura Corbett, spokesperson for
the Digital Freedom Campaign. "We all succeed when we present music fans
with compelling digital music services, and treat them as customers rather
than criminals."

"Digital technology empowers individual artists, musicians and
filmmakers to distributes and monetize their works while developing close
relationships with their fans," stated Michael Petricone, senior vice
president, government affairs, Consumer Electronics Association. "'DJ for a
Day' will illustrate the extraordinary possibilities when consumers, artist
and innovators have the freedom to participate in the creative process."

"Digital technology has blown open the traditional ways that artists
can get their music out there to people and let them know about it," said
Isaac Koren of The Kin. "From ringtones to 'per click' ad revenue and
downloads on digital TV, the artist and their audience now have fewer
boundaries between them and more ways for the artist to earn a living."

The Digital Freedom Campaign protects the rights of artists, innovators
and consumers to use digital technologies free of unreasonable restrictions
or punitive lawsuits. For more information about the Digital Freedom
Campaign, and to see photos of the event, please visit
http://www.digitalfreedom.org.

About Digital Freedom: Digital technology enables literally anyone and
everyone to be a creator, an innovator or an artist - to produce music, to
create cutting-edge videos and photos, and to share their creative work.
Digital technology empowers individuals to enjoy these new works when,
where, and how they want, and to participate in the artistic process. These
are basic freedoms that must be protected and nurtured. The Digital Freedom
campaign is dedicated to defending the rights of students, artists,
innovators, and consumers to create and make lawful use of new technologies
free of unreasonable government restrictions and without fear of costly and
abusive lawsuits. http://www.digitalfreedom.org.




See Also

Jake Gyllenhaal - Gyllenhaal Biels Nailed Hit By More Problems

LATEST: Production on JAKE GYLLENHAAL and JESSICA BIEL's new movie NAILED ground to a halt on Friday (23May08), after more financial difficulties hit the cash-strapped project.

A number of staffmembers failed to show up for work at the South Carolina set on Thursday (22May08), after union leaders at the International Alliance of Theatrical + Stage Employees (IATSE) called for a boycott when they learned below-the-line crews were not being paid.

Production is expected to resume this Thursday (29May08), reports industry publication Variety.

It is the third time director David O. Russell's independent movie has been shut down. Workers belonging to the IATSE union also held up production on 15 May (08) for similar pay reasons, while Gyllenhaal and Biel, both members of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), walked off the set on 9 May (08), after producers failed to show they had enough money to pay the cast.

In April (08), veteran James Caan quit his cameo role after a bust-up with Russell.




See Also